Movie Discussion thread
« on: October 24, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
Favourite movies are for suckers.

What obscure movie do you wish other people watched so you could discuss its greatness with them?

For me? It's Mushi-Shi. Mushi-Shi is an anime, or a manga, or something somebodybailmeouthere, beloved by my understanding, but I've only seen the movie and NO ONE ELSE HAS and I wish they had so we could discuss the cool scenes.

How about you?

Brennan Devlin

• The Four Course Meal of Sex Appeal.
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 04:16:10 PM »
I've actually seen most of the Mushi-Shi anime but didn't even know it had a movie, weird, lol.

An obscure one off the top of my head that I actually referenced in my first roleplay is Jack Brooks Monster Slayer.  It's very Evil Dead or Tucker and Dale-esque with a night class at a school being attacked by a demon monster, lol.  Nobody ever seems to know what it is, but I do and it's fantastic!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 03:57:09 AM »
Mushi-shi is forever on my list of things to check out and I never heard of Monster Slayer so that's weird. For me it would be Grimgar: Fantasy and Ash a "trapped in a game" anime that is realistic and slow burning.

Also for me no one outside of the internet seems to know of Firefly.

And the movie Dinner Rush but I haven't gauged its popularity
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 10:45:45 AM »
YAAAAAAS.

You can find Mushi-Shi online, for sure. It's worth watching for the visuals.

Haven't heard of Monster Slayer, either.

Firefly was neat because of how it saw the future as a mix of Chinese and American language, and how it kind of pioneered the whole "We're Cancelled!" and fans saying "NAH! WE WANT YOU BACK" And it did, and then it was cancelled again. Sad story.

Was having a discussion with my brother about a movie starring the comedian SINBAD in which he plays a Genie, and we both fondly remember this movie, but it never existed, and the reason why I think it did is found here: http://mandelaeffect.com/sinbad-as-a-genie/ :-O.

What else we got, gang?

Brennan Devlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »
Going off of anime things...  the anime and anime movie (think it's only on Netflix) of Gantz is awesome and kind of unknown.  This dude inside of a black ball with otherworldly powers takes people who just died, gives them another chance at life but only if they kill monsters/aliens for him on the regular!  That's kind of neat and way underappreciated.  :P
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 07:02:37 PM »
Not to derail but did you read the manga? It gets crazy

I will contribute with Night on Earth. A movie about different taxi rides around the world. It is good. Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Rome, and Helsinki. might not be obscure just old? I dunno.

Brennan Devlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »
I've read bits and pieces of the manga!  Very good stuff.

I'll contribute one that's known but not often one I find people have seen, Superman vs. The Elite, for my money, the best Superman film currently in existence.  It captures the moral issues that come up with Superman's no-kill policy as he faces off against a Punisher-esque 'hero', Manchester Black and his group, The Elite.  It was adapted from one of my favorite books, too!  "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?" by Joe Kelly.  :P  Good stuff!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »
They made a Paddington 2!!!!!! Dear Gosh. I loved the first Paddington movie.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 12:09:43 AM »
Favourite movies are for suckers.

What obscure movie do you wish other people watched so you could discuss its greatness with them?

Synecdoche: New York.  I am a huge Charlie Kaufman mark, and it's one that fell under the radar with the success of Adaptation, Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine.  The film is fucking perfect.

Also a big Todd Solondz, Lars Von Trier, and Spike Jonze fan.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 11:37:02 AM »
Synecdoche: New York.  I am a huge Charlie Kaufman mark, and it's one that fell under the radar with the success of Adaptation, Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine.  The film is fucking perfect.

Also a big Todd Solondz, Lars Von Trier, and Spike Jonze fan.

Loved Synecdoche. It was really sad, but deep. Whenever I tell someone about it they correct me, like: "No no you mean Shenectady, New York".

Where the Wild Things Are really flew either over or under the radar too. I like the visionary newness of Jonze and Kaufmann.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 06:02:50 AM »
I submit Frank

It stars Michael Fassbender as a leader of a band that takes in a new member. It references Frank Sidebottom and Captain Beefheart. It has a lot of great original music performed by the actors and I want to just post all the songs on here. The pop song bit is a must see/listen